Tuesday, September 4, 2018

A Victory for Mexican Folk Art


Liverpool stores* to sell dolls made by artisans in Querétaro.

The Liverpool department store chain is going to sell artisanal rag dolls made by the indigenous people of Amealco, Querétaro.
The store has agreed to carry the products following months of negotiations that started in December, when customers complained that Liverpool stores were selling cheap knock-off dolls of Chinese manufacture.
Querétaro Sustainable Development Secretary Marco Prete Tercero announced that the sale of the dolls, known locally as pachas and throughout Mexico as Muñecas Marías, will start in September, without specifying the stores that will carry them.
Residents of Amealco have traditionally created their dolls by hand, spending anywhere from two to seven days to complete each one. They sell for up to 500 pesos (just over US $25).
The state has also decided to further protect the Amealco dolls by declaring them cultural intangible heritage, a declaration that will take place at a ceremony on August 15 in the Constitución Plaza of Amealco. Click here to read the full story

  • Liverpool, is a mid-to-high end retailer which operates the largest chain of department stores in Mexico, operating 23 shopping malls including Perisur and Galerías Monterrey. Its 85 department stores comprise 73 stores under the Liverpool name and 22 stores under the Fábricas de Francia name. It also operates 6 Duty Free stores and 27 specialized boutiques.

2 comments:

  1. Greetings - I am delighted to read this news and I hope that it is a trend that continues. I had heard from other sources that "cheap Chinese knockoffs" were hurting the Mexican artisanal nativity scene market - I finally found some authentic ones in a shop in Tlaquepeque ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, am delighted to hear the news. I spend two months on the beach and I'm starting to notice that almost all the handicrafts are made in China. I bought a guitar last year even though I already have two simply because I was so happy to see something made in Mexico! I hear they are doing copies of Huichol beaded jewelry now. I no longer buy any unless I can see it is a Huichol selling them!!

    ReplyDelete